Main focus area: Abs.
Why do this?
Air bikes help to develop a good general abdominal strength. The complex motion activates most abdominal muscles in an alternating fashion. This motion is closest to the abdominal motion during running. Therefore, this exercise is a great support to make running more effective.
How to do this?
- Lie on your back on a mat.
- Place your hands on either side of your head (over your ears).
- Raise your legs up, bending your knees and keeping your calves parallel to the floor.
- Bring your left arm elbow up to meet your right knee, as if riding a bike.
- Repeat with your right elbow and left knee.
- Continue alternating sides.
How to vary?
Increase difficulty: Hold the posture for a moment when you left elbow meets your right knee or vice versa. This destroys momentum and you need to squeeze your abs a bit longer at their peak tension.
Decrease difficulty: Disregard the bending and stretching of your knees by keeping them bent to alleviate some strain from your abs.